Saturday, March 10, 2012

Eggs in a Muffin Pan

If you know my husband, you know picky he is, I don't mean just a little picky, I mean off the charts ridiculous picky! Breakfast is probably our favorite meal, I think because it always occurs on the weekends! Even though I love going out to breakfast, eggs are a whole nether level of crazy pickyness for Dennis. He wants his eggs a very specific way, over hard with the yolk broken, sounds easy, but he wants it extra hard, and not touching anything else. He wants it to resemble an egg mcmuffin. Some restaurants can fill this tall order, some fail and his attitude towards the poor wait staff gets worse.
I have attempted to make his perfect eggs at home, every time they turn out not to his liking. He wants them perfectly round too! How am I supposed to do that?
Then the wonderful world of Pinterest came in handy, it can turn anyone in to a craft goddess and a chef. I found a recipe to bake eggs in a muffin pan. Pure ingenious!
Yesterday Dennis stayed home from work because his allergies were getting really bad, so I used that opportunity to try out my new egg trick.


Simple enough, I slightly greased my muffin pan
(thinking we would sell our house alot sooner we packed up a ton of stuff, including my real muffin pans, so the foil ones will have to do for now!)
Cracked the eggs in and stuck them in the 350 degree pre-heated oven for 20 minutes.
For normal people 15 minutes will be plenty of time, I just had to make sure they were extra hard.
About half way through I was instructed to make sure the yolk was broken, I don't think I needed to, but I would rather be safe then sorry, thanks hunny!
In the mean time I toasted some english muffins, put some ham and provolone cheese on top.
(Remind you of dinner the night before?)


After eggs are done, pop them out (I was super surprised how easy it was to do this)
Place them on top of the muffins and bake again until the cheese melts (approx. 5 minutes).


I thought they were delicious, just like a non greasy egg mcmuffin, and even better then the Starbucks breakfast sandwiches. But the ultimate tester to please is the hubby....
So did he approve? Yes he thought the egg was perfect and very good! Phew!

You can enjoy them right away, or stick the left overs directly in the freezer (still on the cookie sheet) for an hour to freeze all the moisture off, then take them out and wrap them in freezer safe bags.
They will last over a week. I froze my extra one and took it to work. The biggest thing about reheating them, is don't use a microwave if you can avoid it. We have a little Otis Spunkmeyer oven at work, I stuck it in there for 15 minutes, and it was even more delicious then the first time, all warm and crispy. Mmmmm. In fact I'm making one for me right now!





1 comment:

  1. I did just remake them without breaking the yolk, and unless you you like runny yolk don't break them, I did end up breaking my yolk and cooking them for longer. Just break the yolk in the beginning :)

    ReplyDelete