Monday, February 13, 2012

Miracle of Creation

The wait is finally over!
Friday at 4pm I got the phone call from Hollie that she was being admitted to the hospital, since she went over her due date they do a routine check up to make sure baby is doing good, she passed the stress test, but they did see he had low fluids so they wanted to induce her. She got induced that evening, we stayed til midnight, then left to let her get some sleep. Little did we know she wouldn't get that for another 3 days! Contractions started early Saturday morning, Dennis and I and most of the family headed back to the hospital.
Around 830am it was just Dennis, Marty, Hollie, the nurse and I in the room when we heard a pop and what sounded like a rushing river hit the floor. Hollie barely got out the words, "I think my water just broke" before Dennis went running out of the room! I will admit it was pretty amazing to be able to hear it, even the nurse looked at me afterwards and said that is the most distinctive water breaking sound she has ever heard, even she was excited!
After the epi and water break she quickly rose from 3cm to 7cm. We thought it was about go time. Unfortunately that was the fastest it would go. She plateaued after 8cm, even with the epidural Hollie was very uncomfortable with every contraction, but you could hardly tell, she barely showed any pain, she held it together and seemed so calm and relaxed the whole time. I wish I could say the same for Marty and the rest of us, with all the waiting and lack of sleep came a lot of pacing and a little worry.

The proud and calm parents to be
Even though we, along with most of her family were in the hospital for 24+ hours, we enjoyed our time. We played games, napped, ordered pizza, went in and out of Hollie's room, and helped each other through the emotional journey. We got way too loud too  many times, the nurses had to keep talking to us, surprisingly they never kicked us out!
Their OB Dr. Nathan was a great, great guy! He was so gentle, went with the flow, not overpowering and very very understanding. Even though he originally said if she wasn't progressing by 6pm that they would need to discuss the next steps, he continued to give her and baby a chance to come out, baby and mommy were being monitored the whole time to make sure everyone was okay, even with a large temp spike and babies dropping blood pressure they helped them both get through it. But once she just couldn't reach 9cm he knew there was a reason, at 10pm they collectively made the call for a c-section. I always envision a c-section as a last resort or a push by the doctor because they are tired of waiting, but I knew this wasn't the case, even though the thought of it scared me and I'm sure most, I was able to calm myself with the confidence that all options were exhausted for natural and it was time to get baby out.
Even though things didn't go as planned it was nice to know that everyone involved was able to stay flexiable, not get upset and just go with the flow. I found that to be the most important thing.
It was a beautiful moment in the waiting room as the family and friend comforted each other as we knew what was about to happen. Hollie got prepped and we all stood and waived as she was rolled to the surgery room.
At 11:11pm on February 11th, out came a beautifully healthy 8lb, 20inch baby. Deklin Paul Girvan was born. The miracle of creation emerged. As mommy and baby would be in recovery for a few hours, we stayed in the waiting room til we got the news that everyone was safe, healthy and recovering well. After the surgery we were informed that it was a very good thing she had a C-Section, and little baby wouldn't have fit, that was a relief.
Daddy Marty was in the room and uploading pictures of the newborn on Facebook. It was fun to all be crowded around our laptops seeing every new image of the baby pop up, ohhs and ahhs came out of all of us.
Dennis and I returned Sunday afternoon to be able to see the little one in person. I can't explain the feeling that I had the first time I saw his little face. All the expressions his plump lips would make, the soft noises that came out of him and even the excitement as I felt him gassy in my arms.
Just watching Hollie with her little miracle was so heartfelt. You just can see the pure joy and happiness in her face when she sees him or hears him. She isn't able to do too much moving or even sleeping yet, time will heal her, but she will have plenty of willing hands to help out. She is a strong and inspiring mommy!





After our visit Dennis and I headed to church, while we were waiting for the service to start, Dennis looked over at me and asked what we were doing tonight, we had no plans, he asked if we could back to see the baby again! We headed straight there after service!
As the boys went out for a celebratory cigar, Hollie said I could help her breastfeed her little one. I never thought this would be an experience that I would be involved in, but I'm so glad I was. It brought tears to my eyes to see the connection between mommy and baby, so see the caring way she comforted him, even though it was a bit frustrating for both of them, it was a beautiful moment that I was so glad I got to witness.
I can't wait to go back tonight, I am leaving work early to fit in another visit before my growth group tonight. :)

Oh and another bit of exciting news, before church Dennis and I stopped at Costco and I finally got my SLR! With the $100 off Costco special it was really hard to pass up the Canon T2i. I can't wait to capture more beauiful moments!

No comments:

Post a Comment