Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Lent

Since I became a Christian 3 years ago I have participated in Lent. I hear a lot of people say, since you aren't Catholic you don't have to. Its not about me thinking I have to, like it's a requirement, it's about using the opportunity to grow in my relationship with Christ. Every time I desire the vice I gave up, I turn to Christ, I pray, I talk to Him daily and I grow spiritually. Its funny cause I hear this reference that Lent is only a catholic observance. Check Wikipedia!
Lent is the Christian observance of the liturgical year from Ash Wednesday to Easter Sunday.
During Lent, many of the faithful commit to fasting or giving up certain types of luxury as a form of penitence.

So every year I search and seek what I should give up. I read this article http://rachelheldevans.com/40-ideas-for-lent-2012 I love getting ideas from others as to what they will deny themselves or fast on. Then I came across 40 Days of Water, the first thing that drew me to this was the fact that it was a mission raising awareness to the poverty and water problems in Uganda. (As Uganda has a piece of my heart)
I wasn't looking for anything more then an idea of something to give up, but to couple that with a great cause? I think it was a match made in heaven! Build my relationship with Christ while I struggle with a vice, and raise money, my own money, not asking for money or making it an event, but seeing what I can give up and how that can help others. I'm all in!
I read some more about their charity Blood:Water (yes resembles Charity:Water I believe they were founded the same year), I loved their mission and their direction, and it was founded by Jars of Clay! They help against HIV/Aids and water in Uganda, both something that touched us while we were there.
For 40 days I will replace all beverages with water, I will track all the drinks I give up on their website and at the end I will make a donation of the sacrifices to Blood:Water. The hardest part for me is coffee.... I alone could have given up coffee and been drastically changed. I love my coffee, I actually walk like a zombie to work and only perk up when I smell that glorious coffee brewing in my Keurig. I love to walk around with my coffee mug on the weekends, and generally fill it up atleast twice.

Hopefully praying to God will open my eyes and keep me focused as much as my loved coffee did! I also enjoy drinking juice in the afternoon, a beer when we go out to dinner and pop with my fast food (ewww), all of that will be replaced with water. I'm sure I will be feeling better after lent and you never know this could be a wonderful thing for my health!
I shared the website with my sister Jessica and she decided to join me in this adventure, and she threw on another challenge! Give up swearing... as this sounds easy, it is the only lent I failed at in the past, what a great time to try it again. I don't like my trucker mouth, and sometimes it shocks me when the F-bomb just goes flying unexpectedly. The tangible was always easier to give up, the alcohol, the meat, the coffee, but to give up a natural way of speech will be a challenge. I will have to think before I open  my mouth, and find other ways to tell a story, and share an angry moment. I will eventually need to watch my mouth when all my friends babies get old enough to repeat me anyways, better start now!
So here I go, no coffee, and no swearing!

1 comment:

  1. Too funny! My original idea was no swearing but Matt said that I shouldn't be doing it in the first place :/ Btw, 'shitake' makes a nice substitute ;)

    ReplyDelete