Friday, April 20, 2012

Flight Lessons

I wanted to go all out for Dennis' 30th birthday. I sort of thought that it would be our last ho rah before we had kids (didn't work out so well). Dennis was happily surprised with a trip to Mexico, where we relaxed, toured, and got to try new things like scuba diving!
But way before his actual day, I had purchased him introductory flight lessons. He said he would love to learn how to fly, why not try it out? We attempted to use these at least 5 times, but the weather in Washington is a little unpredictable, especially when we started trying in October!
I almost for about it since it has been 7 months, then it appeared! The original place in Arlington closed down, but lucky for us a place in Puyallup was still accepting our certificate (good thing since it was already paid for!)
We finally picked a good weekend, woke up early for our trek way down to Puyallup, only to walk outside to dark gray sky's and an Erie loom of the coming rain. Since we live in this convergence zone, we called and they said it was gorgeous and sunny down South. Phew!!!!
The second we hit highway 167, the skis parted, the rain stopped and there was this bright thing above our heads we were not prepared for! We forgot our sunglasses!
 We pulled in to the flight school and were unprepared for the sight. Mount Rainer was so close and so gorgeous, The clouds continued to move, but mostly they hoovered right over her top, sometimes revealing it, and others just keeping it out of sight.
 We thought Dennis would have to take some lessons in their classroom first, you know the boring book stuff. But were shocked when our instructor took us straight to the plane. We got a young, fun, and lively pilot. I don't think anyone else would have fit us the same.
Dennis was so happy to pose next to the Cessna he would be flying in 10 minutes.
Now that thought scared a touch. I'm not quite sure why I thought I would be able to fly with him. I have been pretty brave lately, and I used to get really sick when flying, but have been such a big girl lately, I thought I can do it! (Well after I ran in to the bathroom and prayed)
Little did I know that mastering the large commercial plane and riding in a tiny 3 seater was much, much different!

 Right before we boarded our plane we were able to watch another plane take off and make a picture perfect moment over the mountains.

 The boys doing the safety walk through.
 Nature letting us have a peek a boo of the top!
 Ready Captain? He looks so cute!!!!
 The plane was so tiny, the boys' shoulders were touching, and neither of them were big!
 Take off was good, pretty smooth, he had Dennis flying from the first moment. I on the other hand, continued to pray! The sight was incredible, we were able to hoover over certain areas to see the gorgeous views from above.
If we flew nice and steady and didn't make any turns, I might have been okay, might.
But this little plane can turn on a dime, bank to the left, boom we are on our side!
Our instructor kept saying how fast Dennis is learning and how impressed he was with him.
 This was the last picture I could get off before our instructor looked back at me and saw me starting to sweat bullets and get really uncomfortable. He asked if I wanted to go back, I barely got a nod out.
Not the first time he saw this because he turned on the air (which meant opening the windshield gaps), that felt fantastic and I almost thought I could handle it. Then we turned around to head back, I could feel the sweat dripping down my back, my head starting to get light headed, and the dreaded tight feeling in my thought. No please don't!!!!
Next thing I know, I'm taking my camera lens out of my camera bag, sitting it on my lap, just in case. Ha, moments later, I'm blowing chunks in my camera bag, in the back seat of the plane as we are heading back. I got so close! The sight was unbearable, at first I thought I was throwing up blood, but then remembered that I had strawberries and blueberries for breakfast, not the prettiest sight to upchuck!
Within moments of throwing up, the heat went away, my throat stopped burning and I pulled myself together. By this point we were descending. I only got one more picture before we landed.
I was extremely embarrassed, I knew he knew, but neither of us said anything. I closed my camera bag (I'm so sorry Hollie, it was the only thing I had, either that or my shirt and then I don't think I would have stopped vomiting.), and ran off the plane to the bathroom to clean up. I tried really, really hard to get the red stains out of the bag, and so far, no such luck.
I cheated Dennis out of some time on his flight, I shouldn't have went up there, what was I thinking? :( I asked if he wanted to do it again, and he said, why have a hobby that you will never be able to enjoy with me? Ahhhh, such a sweet husband!
So I learned a few lessons, just praying won't get you though, you actually have to prepare yourself too. I don't like small planes, I will admire them for the ground and never attempt to enter one again!

No comments:

Post a Comment