Wednesday, May 9, 2012

Cake Decorating Class

My friend Hollie and I decided to do something fun, and different. So we signed up for Cake Decorating Classes at JoAnn Fabrics. Since my mom works there, we got a killer deal. Buy one class get another free, then 20% off the class we paid for! Sweet! But didn't take in to account all the stuff you need for the classes, wow that adds up! We finished our Wilton Basics and next week start our Gum Past and Fondant course.
I was not a master at this class, I need some practice for sure! But I really enjoyed myself, and know I will use my skills for later!


 For our first class we brought in cookies and learned basic skills of how to make icing, how to fill your bags and what the different tips do. Here is my Cookie Bear!


Second class we brought in cakes and learned how to layer the cake and fill it, frost them and learned more about tips and pressure and decorating. Mine is the cupcake, and Hollie did the fish, isn't it so cute!


I brought my cupcake/cake to work and everyone loved it. Hollie and I made confetti cake with Bavarian cream filling!


Third class we brought in cupcakes and got to learn about making flowers and more decorating. This was probably my favorite class, you can make so many different designs. (and you don't have to have smooth frosting!)


Last night was our last class and we had to bring in a cake already frosted. That is the hardest part, trying to get it smooth and not damage the cake! I make lemon cake with lemon pudding filling (Dennis' favorite!) Dennis wanted to bring it to work, so I tried to make red flowers, but it takes a lot of coloring to get to red, so they still look a little pink!
I was exhausted at last nights class, I fell like I rushed a little. But still like my outcome. Sad I didn't get a picture of Hollie's Happy Birthday cake to Marty, it was so cute, and she did green icing, which really made it pop!
Next week we learn about fondant and gum paste!

No comments:

Post a Comment